Sticking out teeth are a common issue affecting a large number of children in Australia, which can arise from a variety of reasons. It could be due to pressure from the tongue that is pushing forwards, from a habit, as well as from the way the jaws had been growing throughout life.
When the front teeth are sticking out, there are at risk that they will be accidentally fractured as shown in the image. In a comprehensive study done in Europe it was found that “children with an overjet larger than 3 mm are approximately twice as much at risk of injury to anterior teeth than children with an overjet smaller than 3 mm”. Hence correcting this problem is one of the most common reasons why young patients as young as 8 or 9 years old, come with their parents to see Dr. Kaufman. It is important to correct the condition early, to prevent damage to the teeth.
- Cost, braces are usually cheaper than aligners.
- Aligners can be removed for better cleaning, while braces are fixed to the teeth require more elaborate oral hygiene.
- Braces are needed for more complex treatments.
- Aligners may be lost once they have been removed from the mouth.
- Braces are not aesthetically pleasing, while aligners are invisible.
- Aligners need to be removed before eating.
Once the way the teeth will be moved is chosen, the protruding teeth are being brought back into the mouth to correct the condition. If you see that your child’s teeth are sticking out please make an appointment to see Dr. Kaufman to have them checked and treated.