Nitrous Oxide Gas, commonly referred to as “Happy gas”, is an effective anesthetic and relaxing agent that has many benefits . It consists of a mixture of nitrous oxide oxygen which is inhaled with a nose hood. It produces a sedative effect that is regarded as and “ideal” clinical sedative. Humphrey Davy, one of the pioneers in nitrous oxide gas research, summarized the positive experience it provides when he had tooth pain. “On the day when the inflammation was the most troublesome, I breathed three large doses of nitrous oxide. The pain always diminished after the first four or five inspirations; the thrilling came on as usual, and uneasiness was for a few minutes swallowed up in pleasure.”
The inhalation sedation has many advantages:
- Rapid onset – Nitrous oxide works very rapidly, it reaches the brain within 20 seconds, and it’s effect is established in 2 or 3 minutes.
- When compared to other sedation techniques, the depth of sedation can be adjusted easily allowing for the increase or decrease of the depth of sedation instantaneously.
- The sedation can be interrupted or stopped when needed, while other techniques have a fixed duration of action, allowing Dr. Kaufman to stop the procedure if needed and switch it on again.
- There’s no “hangover” effect – the gas is eliminated from the body within 3 to 5 minutes after the gas supply is stopped. You can drive home safely and don’t need an escort.
- Dr. Kaufman has absolute control over the action of the sedation.
- Nitrous oxide acts as a painkiller on soft tissues such as gums.
- It is highly recommended for patients who suffer from gagging during dental treatment.
For more information please contact us.